n.d. (ca. 1910). 4″ x 10″. Framed in custom mortise-and-tenon Secession style frame with carved leaf patterns, in stained walnut.
A lovely and inspiring Czech piece out of the early twentieth-century design reform era. An architectural approach seemed like the way to go with this little jewel. Its commemorative purpose seemed to deserve a shrine. A thoroughly individualized frame, the carved leaves echo the leaves in the plaque (see detail shots below). On the whole a good example of how a frame can be alive to the work it’s around, and can expand, sustain and amplify its spirit into the architectural realm. In order to show the entire piece, the plaque was mounted to a board using archival adhesive.