In Mourning for Notre Dame—and One of the World’s Greatest Oak Frames

Our friends at Annex Galleries posted this Max Pollack print today in recognition of the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, and in mourning for the tragic destruction to one of the most magnificent buildings in the world.

“Paris: Notre Dame,” 1926. Etching by Max Pollak (1886 – 1970). Annex Galleries.

Heartbreaking news that reminds us of the fragility of humanity’s work—think of the decades of devoted labor—and our duty to care for it and to appreciate it.

CNN reports, “The Entire Wooden Interior of Notre Dame Has Been Lost”. Popularly called “The Forest,” the solid oak roof structure was so called because it was built from an estimated 13,000 trees—a veritable forest. Forming one of the oldest parts of the church, many of the beams were from the original roof built of trees harvested between 1160 and 1170.

It was Gothic structures like these John Ruskin held up for our undying admiration, not least of all for the lesson they taught, “When we build let us think that we build to last,” in his words. And last The Forest did. For more than 850 years. But in one day it is gone.

Read more and see more images of “The Forest” on Notre Dame’s website…

“The Forest” of Notre Dame, now destroyed by fire

« Back to Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.